January reading

30.1.13

With the snow arriving it was the perfect time to read the book I got for Christmas: The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey



Released last summer I'd heard people rave about it so I popped it on my Christmas list and Santa was kind enough to deliver it!

As I'd heard a lot of good things about this book I was a little worried that it was all hype and I was going to be disappointed. 

I need not have worried. 

The Snow Child was brilliant from start to finish. 

Based in Alaska in the 1920's you're introduced to Mabel and Jack, a couple who are still grieving for a baby they lost years before. 

One night, as the first lot of snow falls, the couple head out and build a snow child, a little girl girl complete with straw hair, hat and mittens. 

The next morning they notice the snow child has gone - but then they catch a glimpse of a young girl running through the trees...

The Snow Child is based on a Russian fairytale and it is such a sweet story but laced with important messages too. 

Perfect reading for a snowy afternoon! 

Here are a few of my snowy London pics!



 



This January I've also read: 

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling 



I love Harry Potter, who doesn't? So I was desperate to get my hands on this. 

First thing to note is that it's as far removed from Harry Potter as you can get. 

Second thing to note is if you want to read this book you need patience. And a lot of it. 

About 50 pages in I was about to give up. There were too many characters and I was confused with who everybody was and my interest was waning. 

Luckily Laura over at Secret Diary of a Fashion Journalist  told me to stick with and I am glad I did. 

About 100 pages in things started to get interesting and I really couldn't put it down. 

The Casual Vacancy is set in a small West Country town and begins with the death of Parish Councillor Barry Fairbrother. With his seat on the council now available this small town comes alive with successors wanting to take his place. 

Conflict ensues as the town goes to war. The race for the seat is on and there are many revelations along the way… 

I've also read The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year by Sue Townsend. 



I'm afraid I'm not going to give a review on this as I am saving all my thoughts and opinions for the Page Turner Book Club on twitter. 

This was the brainchild of Lorna and I wish someone had come up with this idea before!

I love the idea of book clubs but it is always so difficult to get a group of people together once a month. This way is perfect. Everyone meets once a month on twitter using the hash tag #pageturnerreads to say what they have to say. 

First 'meet' is 3pm this Sunday, 3rd February. See you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment