April Reading

30.4.13





I am a big fan of Caitlin Moran and her funny musings. I liked How to be a Woman but I really loved Moranthology. 

You know a good book when it makes you cry, laugh out loud and miss your tube stop. 

I did all three with Moranthology. Cried with laughter, laughed out loud on the tube before realising I'd sailed past my stop as I'd been so engrossed. I didn't mind though - it meant I had longer to read more as I turned back on myself.  

I knew I was going to love the book as soon as I hit page three and Moran wrote about her first trip to London.

The time is 11.15am. I am due at the Observer offices, in Battersea at 12.30pm.

‘Just enough time to go to the British Museum and Buckingham Palace!’ I think, having looked at the tiny map of London I have in my pocket.

Three hours later I finally turn up at the Observer offices. I am trying very, very hard not to cry. All the skin has been flayed off my heels.  I am soaked in sweat, utterly mortified, and newly enlightened as to the scale of capital cities.   

Genius. We’ve all been there.

I also enjoyed the chapters on the time she met Lady Gaga and the royal wedding.

But the best chapter of all had to be when she met her hero Paul McCartney and basically messed it up.

I laughed, I cringed, I sympathised (it reminded me of the time I met my hero, Gary Barlow, but I’ll save that story for another time…)

So if you haven’t already got this book, order it immediately. It’s out in paperback on the 2nd May and is just brilliant.

Moran is a genius writer with a funny tone and isn't afraid to say the C word (though I am. My mum reads this and I wouldn't want to incur her wrath.) 

Oh. And the fact my good friend Gareth Iwan Jones did the cover photography made the book even more amazing. Isn’t it fabulous? Check out more pics on his brilliant website




No comments:

Post a Comment